Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kaylee's High Chair and a Gray Dresser

I finished a couple projects today! One was a high chair I started 2 years ago! I'm definitely guilty of starting projects and not always finishing them, or more commonly for me, starting a project only to get distracted by a new project, and the next thing I know I have 4-5 different things going all at once! I heard somewhere that this pattern is a sign of a creative mind. If this is true I have a very creative mind, ha! Here is the high chair...



I actually bought it and painted for my daughter's1st birthday. I was planning on using it as her everyday high chair after her party but I never got around to putting a protective coat on it and it ended up in our attic and I promptly forgot about it up there. Over the weekend we did some much needed purging of our garage and attic and I rediscovered the high chair!  There wasn't  much I needed to do to finish it since I did the cleaning and painting of it before Kaylee's birthday. Unfornately, I didn't take any before pictures. But it was a mess when I picked it up! Tons of grease and dirt built up all over it! I was able to remove the seat and the seat back and completely clean and restore the vinyl covered fabric.  I'm so thankful I could salvage it since the fabric is just darling. I then painted the rest of the chair using the color Provence by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. To finish it off today I distressed it a bit and put a coat of wax on it to protect it. I will be selling it in a few weeks but it needs to cure completely before I can list it on Craigslist. When you use wax, or use any protective coating for that matter, there is usually a suggested "cure" time which allows the piece to completely dry and harden increasing its durability. Allowing the wax to completely cure also ensures that the high chair will be food safe. That being said if your interested in purchasing it let me know and I can hold it for you. I will be selling it for for $100 on Craigslist but for my blog readers I will offer a 10% discount!

The other project I finished today is this dresser…


This dresser was one of those projects that took me a bit longer than I expected. I originally planned on painting the piece like you see it now. But then half way through I changed my mind and started painting the drawers white, only to change my mind again and go back to my original plan.  But it's finished now and it's a good reminder to me that I should listen to my gut and not second guess because that's usually when I start to go wrong. Here is the before shot...





I painted this piece with my favorite color for the moment French Linen by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I accented the piece with a white and I painted the hardware. To finish, I lightly distressed the dresser and to add a bit more dimension to the color, I used Annie Sloan's dark wax after sealing first with clear wax.



Now that I've finished a couple projects I'm excited to jump in to a few more. I have two more dressers, my tv console, and a bed to waiting for me, as well as a custom job for my neighbor!

Linked up to: Missmustardseed.com and tatertotsandjello.com

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from MMS link party. Love how the painted drawer pulls add such interest to your dresser! Your song lyrics behind the dresser are pretty spiffy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy! I made the sign in memory of my grandma "Moon River" was her favorite song :)

    ReplyDelete